By Robert Harling
Directed by Scott Mohon
Leo J. Welder Center for the Performing Arts
Friday, July 8, 2016 – 7:00pm
All roles are open.
Readings will be from the script. Scripts can be checked out for 2 days for a $20 deposit from Theatre Victoria’s office.
Call Backs and Notification
Call backs will be held if needed.
Roles will be offered by Wednesday, July 13, 2016.
About the Play
Set in a small town in Louisiana - in the time of really big hair – six women gather in Truvy’s beauty show for gossip, friendship and support. These women are true steel magnolias: southern belles who are flowery on the outside, but tough as steel inside. The play is alternately hilarious and touching as it moves from the excitement of Shelby’s wedding to sadness as friends mourn her loss. The dialogue is sharp and funny.
Character Breakdown – 6 women
Please do not type yourself to the characters in the movie. We are looking for strong, passionate actresses of all ages, types and ethnicities. Ages listed are “stage ages”.
- Truvy Jones (35-40) Owns the beauty shop. Vivacious and dispenses advice with lots of hairspray.
- Annelle Dupop-Desoto (18-24) Newly hired assistant. Moves from unsure to wild to religious.
- Clairee Belcher (55-60) Widow of former mayor. Grand dame. Elegant, sophisticated, a true beauty.
- Shelby Eatenton-Latcherie (19) Prettiest girl in town. Loves pink. Strong willed, passionate.
- M’Lynn Eatenton (40’-50’) Shelby’s mother. Always knows what’s best. Strong, stubborn. The heart of the play.
- Ousier Boudreaux(55-60’s) Wealthy curmudgeon. Tough, eccentric character.
Rehearsals will begin Sunday, August 7, 2016 with a read-through
Anticipated rehearsals are Sunday-Thursday 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm. Cast members will be called as needed.
Technical Rehearsals (Production week) begins Sunday, September 11, 2016
All cast members are required to be at all technical rehearsals
Performance Dates currently scheduled
All cast members are required to be at all performances
- Thursday, September 15 – 7:30 pm
- Friday, September 16 – 7:30 pm
- Saturday, September 17 – 7:30 pm
- Sunday, September 18 – 2:00 pm
Technical Crew Call Dates
All Company Members are asked to participate in at least 2 crew calls other than strike.
- Saturday, August 27 – 10:00 am and/or 1:00 pm
- Saturday, September 3 – 10:00 am and/or 1:00 pm
- Saturday, September 10 – 10:00 am and/or 1:00 pm
- Saturday, September 18 – after curtain STRIKE--All company members are required to participate in STRIKE